Monday 5 February 2007

Printer ink

Printer ink is extremely expensive. I suppose they are trying to recoup the money from offering the printers very cheaply. The manufacturers say that the cartridge is expensive to manufacture but why not reduce the cost of the next purchase if the consumer sends the empty cartridges back? This makes environmental sense as well. The manufacturers are not doing this so we have companies that collect the empty cartridges, refill them and resell them.

I made a mistake in buying such a product from inkprices.com. It did not last very long so I suspected there was a fault with the cartridge or perhaps there was not enough ink put in. I returned the cartridge but they just told me that the cartridge was fine. So they did not send me another equivalent product. They have now my cartridge to refill and resell.

The moral is not to part with the evidence. It sounds a bit obvious but I didn't do so because I believed that they would send it. Another moral is not to blindingly trust someone. Again something obvious but I did otherwise because would I be willing to investigate further by getting an independent opinion on the fitness of the product? Alas no.

It would be interesting to know whether the law can protect the consumer in a case such as this? It is difficult to protect the consumer when the product in question is perishable or used up.

No comments: