Thursday 14 June 2007

Consistent brand packaging

I wrote about consistent supermarket brand packaging earlier and I never thought that well known brands would make the same mistake. Heinz in 1993 decided to launch a natural cleaning vinegar. This was due to some people using their existing vinegar for cleaning purposes. They actually made the packaging look very similar. I would never dream of associating what people eat with a cleaner.

But clearly there was a demand for it so how would you market it? For cost purposes, it made sense to use their existing design but the association is not good. I suppose even associating the cleaner with the food manufacturer was a risky move. I think I would not have introduced it at all. People were happy using the food version for the cleaning already. Although if they were confident that the product would beat the competition, building up new brand which does not highlight the association with Heinz.

No comments: